This recipe is from the 2009 Autumn issue of Food & Drink by By: Tonia Wilson. I made it this Christmas as a hostess gift for Shawn’s Aunt Jenny…the recipe promised to be delicious and addictive. Based on the requests for the recipe I think the promise to be true. Here you go Shawn’s Aunt Jenny and everyone else! Enjoy.
¼ cup (50 mL) maple syrup
¼ cup (50 mL) corn syrup
3 tbsp (45 mL) sugar
1½ tsp (7 mL) salt
½ tsp (2 mL) ground allspice
½ tsp (2 mL) chili powder
½ tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
3 cups (750 mL) whole pecans
1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, or use aluminum foil and spray well with cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl stir together the maple syrup, corn syrup, sugar, salt, allspice, chili powder and ginger. Add pecans and stir to coat well. Pour coated nuts onto baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and toss nuts gently with a fork, spread evenly over baking sheet and return to oven. Continue to cook for 10 minutes.
5. When cool enough to touch break up any pieces that have stuck together. Once cooled keep in an airtight container until ready to eat.