While making ribs this week I needed something to cool the heat and complement the apple flavour. I came across a recipe similar to the end result on epicurious.com. As always I read the recipe, thought, that’s good but…I need more of this and I need more of that, this would taste better. You get my point. So here is my version of Apple Coleslaw.
1/2 head of red and green cabbage
1 sweet crisp apple (I used an Organic Gala apple)
1/2 cup of organic mayonnaise
1/2 cup of organic fresh plain yoghurt
1 heaping tbsp of market mustard (I used Kozlik’s)
2 spring onions
1 tbsp of riesling wine vinegar(I used Essence of Niagara)
Freshly ground salt and pepper
1) Evenly cut up cabbage
2) Mince spring onions
3) Mix mayonnaise, yoghurt, mustard, and onions together
4) Pour vinegar over cabbage and mix together, then add the creamy mixture and mix again
5) Leave at room temp for at least an hour for the acid to breakdown the cabbage then put in fridge for another 2 hours. If you don’t want to leave it out at room temp, just increase the time in the fridge to four hours.
6) Core apple and slice into large match sticks
7) Remove slaw from fridge, mix in apple, season with salt and pepper and serve
The flavour is a bit sour from the yoghurt and sweet from the apples and cabbage. I loved it, thought it was a perfect pairing with the ribs. Let me know if you agree!