For the past two days I’ve been hearing lots of sneezes, snorts and coughs…yep, Shawn has a cold. It’s that time of year when the cold and flu bugs make their way around. Kids are back in school and the germs are spreading! Gross little kids aside (I’m obliviously not a parent) I have an equally as gross 25 year old walking around the house spreading his germs. And this particular 25 year old Shawn is pretty dam stubborn, last night as he was sneezing up a storm and telling me how sore his throat is, I asked…did you take a vitamin today? And Some Oil of Oregano? No and No…well take some, you’re not going to get better on your own…No I don’t want to…why not? Cause I don’t want to swallow those big pills…Good thing I like a challenge and his stubbornness offers me them from time to time. He did get up and take some vitamins; today he is still sick so I thought it is a good time to post natural cures, or remedies for the common cold. I’m going to be putting some of them to good use as I play nurse again today.
1) Take oil of oregano! Go to the health food store spend the $30-$50 and get yourself a good bottle and start taking it. Every time I feel as little scratch in my throat I take some and feel better within hours.
2) Chicken soup, the old wise tale turns out to be true, the enzymes in the stock help you feel better, and the warm liquid feels good on a sore throat.
3) Rest! Don’t stay up till 2 am reading (Comic Books in Shawn’s case), go to bed and sleep. Your body needs the extra rest for the internal battle happening in your system.
4) Hydrate, most of us are walking around in a chronic state of dehydration as it is, but when you are sick it’s even more important to get liquids in your system.
5) Eat Garlic! it’s not only good to keep the vampires away but amazing for you overall health!
And lastly, please wash your hands and cough or sneeze into your sleeve…it’s the grossest thing in the world to see someone on the subway, in a meeting or even worse…in the kitchen sneeze into their hand and then touch something. It makes me want to puke!